Monday, December 31, 2012

Rethinking Math Class

Just came across this one via Twitter. (Thanks, @grantwiggins!) I had to watch it twice. You might too.


Whoa, right? Makes me wonder what else we should rethink from math class? As a former middle school math teacher, I'm a little shaken up. (Though I hope I would be a much better math teacher today--I sometimes feel bad for the kids I taught way back when...)


My friend, Steve, who has taught junior high math for decades keeps things fresh for himself--and his students--by asking creative questions, challenging students with weird projects, and engaging them in true problem solving, not just doing more exercises. I'd like to think that I'd be more of that kind of teacher, if I were to teach middle school math again.

Made me think of this video from mathematics reform advocate, Dan Meyer...


I wonder how hard it would be to convince schools and districts and teachers and parents that changing things up might be a good thing?

2 comments:

  1. WOW! My head is spinning and all I want to do is play Angry Birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy, right? Angry Birds might be a better way to teach parabolas anyway...

      Delete