Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Teaching at a Distance: Keeping it Human

I'm thinking a lot about my students right now. I miss them. I've done distance office hours both yesterday and today, and it was so, so good to be able to hear them, see them, and communicate live for a little while, even if at a distance.

I'm grateful for technologies that allows so many different avenues of communication. One of my research interests is social presence. There are multiple different definitions for what "social presence" is all about, but one that I really like is, "the degree to which a person is perceived as a 'real person' in mediated communication" (Gunawardena, 1995).

How can I do this? How can I share a sense of myself as a "real person" in my communication with students? How can they share a sense of themselves as "real" with me and their classmates? There are lots of different ways. Videoconferences are a great way to connect. But lower tech tools--even good ol' email--can also be great ways to connect. How can students perceive me as a real person? The affordances of a particular technology matter, I think. But even more important? My tone, and the way I use the tool to communicate. Basically, I'm working with the belief in mind that my students are real people, whole people, and the way I communicate with them matters.


A longtime Twitter friend, Alec Couros, recently tweeted this graphic. I like the way it frames different knowledge bases online teachers might consider--and look for the sweet spot where they overlap...

I think in all the busyness of suddenly teaching online, we might wind up focusing first on the technology, but that is a mistake. It's not that the technology isn't important; it is important. But even more important? Keeping it human. Remembering that there is a living, breathing human being with very real needs and concerns on the other end of our internet connection.

I'm teaching a graduate course this semester entitled "Online Teaching and Learning"--it feels incredibly relevant for all of us now!--and this idea of "keeping it human" was one of the first things we considered at the beginning of the semester. When the World Wide Web was young (meaning the mid-1990s) early web pioneers realized that some norms for interaction in this new virtual meeting space would be helpful. These norms were colloquially referred to as "netiquette" (short for "Internet etiquette.") And rule number one? Well, here it is for you to read, as documented on albion.com (one of the very oldest sites on the World Wide Web!) Rule #1: Remember the Human.

I think this is best advice I can give anyone who is suddenly teaching online. Remember that our students are real human beings. Obvious? Perhaps. But I hope the reminder here is a gut check for you: how are you ensuring that the work you're planning for your students recognizes their needs and concerns as whole persons?

Image by imgix via unsplash.com

1 comment:

  1. Real, live humans! Yes sir! Remember it and act accordingly.

    ReplyDelete