Monday, November 19, 2018

Thoughts on Seriousness


I had the opportunity to see Rend Collective in concert last night. I love this group! After the show my daughter said something like, "It's like we went to a concert and it turned into church, but in the best way." She's right about that--these folks are out to worship, and invite those gathered for the show to shift from "watchers" into "participants." You can't hardly help yourself when you see their infectious joy and celebration!


I don't know what my favorite part of the evening was. We talked about it on our drive home. Here are a few things I love about this group:

I love the worshipful heart of this band. They were there to praise!

I love the musicianship of this band. They are in the category of musicians who are just as good live as they are on their recordings. And with all the instrument changes--even mid-song--this is exceptional!

I love the style of music. I guess I can best call it anthemic Irish folk-rock worship, but that feels like it's falling short somehow.

I love the way they used talk as part of the evening. It wasn't smarmy or over-the top. Sort of self-deprecating, but in a way that is endearing and makes them seem all the more authentic.

And then there's the pandas...


If you've never been to a Rend show...well, it's hard to explain. It just works, and seems so right!

I even got the shirt, which I'm wearing as I write this...


It's a fun gag, and it gets to part of their whole message, really. They are out to share good news, and to share it in a way that stirs up joy in others. It's not that there aren't times to grieve and lament. (They talked about that too. That's a part of our faith journey as well.) But the idea that we can continue to choose joy, to choose celebration, to choose to trust God at His word, even in the face of the hard things?

That's a powerful message!

And they shared this zinger that I think is going to become a catchphrase for me, since it's what I already try to embody in my life:

Seriousness is not a
Fruit of the Spirit,
but JOY is!

Isn't that lovely? How often haven't we as the church taken a too-serious approach? Missed the point a bit by trying to ensure that we are taking our faith seriously, and along the way forgotten that joy is one of the key signs of a spirit-filled faith life?

I've often said that I try to take my work very seriously, but not take myself too seriously. I think that's where the heart of Rend Collective is as well. Maybe we all could loosen up a little, and really praise joyfully?

I hope you'll carry that thought into your Thanksgiving celebrations, friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment