Friday, February 19, 2021

Learning Targets

 I've been thinking a lot about learning targets lately. In the two methods courses I'm teaching right now (Science Methods for Elementary and Middle School, and Methods of Teaching STEM K-12) we are getting started with developing unit plans, and we're thinking about goals and objectives. And a recent episode of the podcast my buddy Matt and I started was all about learning targets too. (You can listen to the episode here, if you're interested: Hallway Conversations with Matt and Dave: Goals)

The main idea I'm hoping to convey to my students about learning targets is just how valuable they are for keeping both the teacher and the students on track for what we're working towards. Imagine yourself as an archer--having a clear target makes taking aim so much more obvious. A clear target helps you measure (assess) learning: did students hit the bullseye? And, I would suggest, a clear target even helps you focus your teaching on ensuring students will be able to hit that target.

Image by mickrh via Pixabay

Is it possible to over-emphasize learning targets? Probably...like almost anything else in the world of Education today. But I have found targets so helpful in my own teaching practice, perhaps because I'm likely to go off the rails and get distracted pretty easily.

So what is a learning target? Here's my current thinking...

Learning targets are often framed as "I can..." statements, but the old school format for writing objectives that I learned in my own undergraduate teacher preparation works just as well: "Students will be able to..." Thinking this through, I think that "Students will be able to..." (SWBAT) is more framed for the teacher, while "I can..." is more framed for the student

And then, the key is following up this introduction with a solid action-oriented verb: what will students be able to do? Describe? Analyze? Illustrate? Explain? List? Develop? Construct? Argue? Contrast? Hypothesize? Write? Model? Debate? There are so many possibilities, but I like the idea of connecting them to different levels of thinking, such as what is described in Bloom's Taxonomy. Aiming for at least some learning targets that get at higher-order thinking skills seems like a really wise strategy to me. (If all we're asking students to do is remember and regurgitate information...that feels like a "thin" education to me!)

When I was talking this through with my students in STEM methods this week, we were debating the pros and cons of writing learning targets for students vs. framing them for teachers. One of my students expressed some concern about "I can..." statements, even as a university student: it puts a lot of pressure on the students to really be able to do these things! Another student responded with a wondering: why not use both SWBAT and I can? Here was his reasoning: even if you are sharing learning targets with students at the beginning of a unit or lesson, using "students will be able to..." as the frame puts this in a future-tense: "Maybe you can't do this now...but you will be able to do this later on." And then, using "I can" as a frame at the end of the unit or lesson gives students an opportunity to self-assess: "Can I now do this, after I've had the opportunity to learn it? Or do I need more practice?"

I LOVE this approach, honestly. And this makes me feel grateful for the opportunity to keep learning, right along with my students.

Are you using learning targets? How do you feel about them? Do you find them valuable for guiding your students learning, or for your own teaching?

3 comments:

  1. Dr. Mulder,

    I really enjoy this discussion on "I can" vs "SWBAT." I have used the latter but not the former, but thinking about it at the "both/and" level is helpful I think. The questions I've had about this topic for quite a while:

    Do you think it better to have learning goals established for every lesson or for a longer period of time? In your view, what's the difference between learning goals and driving (or essential) questions? How do they fit together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cole! I have come to think of learning targets fairly flexibly, I guess. I think broad unit goals can be targets, and more focused lesson-level objectives can equally be targets.

      That said, I love the idea of essential questions (a la Wiggins & McTighe) for guiding students' inquiry into topics. I guess I've landed at a place where I don't know if it's an either-or proposition. Learning targets help keep me focused on what the main thing is. Essential questions help me create a sense of wondering, curiosity, and mystery. Both have their place, I think.

      How does that sound to you?

      Delete
    2. That is helpful! I appreciate your distinction between the main thing and mystery. Thank you for that.

      I have found that essential questions help me narrow the scope of what the course goals are while also allowing for open-ended dialogue and study. So I try to create several broad essential questions for the course and then drill down to even more specific questions in particular modules and even lessons within the parameters of the essential questions. This is crucial especially considering the endless details and potential rabbit holes in historical study.

      I've found that if I don't have essential questions (or have created poor essential questions), I lose sight of the learning goals and the learning feels misguided or convoluted.

      Delete