Tuesday, August 24, 2021

First Day Jitters and Joy

It's day one, again. 

It's my 10th first day teaching at Dordt.

It's my 24th first day of teaching, overall.

It's my 40th first day of school in my life(??!!)

I still get the first day jitters. The anxious excitement of meeting up with students is still real. It's still palpable. The anticipation of what is to come, the joy of meeting up with new students, and the fear of the yet-unknown things I will encounter all come together. I want it to be a great experience for my students. I want it to be a great experience for me too.

There are some things that have become "normal" for me as an instructor. I have some go-to moves that I use on the first day, and a lesson plan for the first class meeting in Intro to Education (always my first course of the semester!) that is dialed in, tightly planned, and gets students both actively involved and gives them a feel for who I am as their teacher and how the course "works." 

And yet...

...I feel the jitters.

Teaching is work full of anticipation and excitement and all the "maybes" that haven't yet found fulfillment, at least not for this time through the syllabus. It's meaningful work. It's joyful work.


Obligatory first day of school photo, yeah?

Class went great today, by the way. The first moments flew by, and I got the jitters out.

Students were responsive, and interactive, and seemed excited to be there too.

All good things...and their jitters seemed to be relieved as well.

Day 2 tomorrow...fewer jitters, probably. Just as much joy, almost certainly!

5 comments:

  1. Great work! Those jitters are what keep you fresh and focused as a teacher - don’t lose them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and for taking the time to comment, Phillip! Agreed...the jitters are probably a good sign, overall...thanks for this reminder!

      Delete
  2. And I'm still very thankful to have you right next door! Thanks for serving well, Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always glad to have you next door, my friend! :-)

      Delete
  3. The jitters for me are mostly because I'm going to be meeting all these young people that I don't know! After I get their names, it's much, much better. :) Enjoy this year more than last!

    ReplyDelete